Redwood Village

FUN FACTS:

  • Redwood Village is made up of some of the earliest entry-level tract home subdivisions in the City, marketed to the large veteran home-buying community in Post-War San Diego.
  • Redwood Village was the name given to the largest, nine-unit subdivision rapidly constructed between 1950-1952 in the community—becoming its original—and now revived name.
  • E.J. Hubner was the major developer of the Redwood Village area and namesake to many of the remaining tracts of the neighborhood.
  • Prior to suburban development most of the area was owned by dentist and developer Dr. William Odom.
  • In 1931 developers started construction on a resort hotel that sat near today's water tanks. The half-finished hotel burned in a mysterious fire that revealed the body of the property's caretaker. The burned out ruins were popular with local children until the housing tracts were started in 1950.
  • Darnall Elementary is named for long-term San Diego School Board member O.D. Darnall. The school has served as the community's longest standing institution—and from the 1980s into the 2000s--was also the recognized community name.
  • San Diegan Clifford Boren and partner E. J. Billman was the main contractor for most of the houses in Redwood Village.
  • Belleview Shopping Center, now University Square, was developed to serve as the main commercial center for the community.
  • After opening of the nearby College Grove Mall in 1960, the wide lots along Streamview Drive, originally considered for commercial use were developed with the College Verde apartments in 1963.

HISTORICAL SUBDIVISIONS:

SEAMAN'S SUBDIVISION est. 1885
LEMON VILLA est. 1892
JACKSON & SCOTT SUBDIVISION est. 1949-1950
HUBNER PARK est. 1950
HUBNER KNOLLS est. 1950
HUBNER KNOLLS ANNEX 1-2 est. 1950-1951
REDWOOD VILLAGE UNITS 1 TO 9 est. 1950-1952
ROLANDO PARK UNIT 4 est. 1951
BELLEVIEW CENTER UNITS 1-3 est. 1953-1958
ROCK PLACE est. 1959
BELLEVIEW ESTATES est. 1960
BELLEVIEW ESTATES UNIT 2 est. 1962
COLLEGE VERDE est. 1963
CHOLLAS CENTER UNIT 3 est. 1968
COLLEGE PARK TOWNHOMES est. 1979
DARNALL est. 1983