El Cajon Boulevard

FUN FACTS:

  • The "Cajon Road Via the Mesa" was the name of this route when County surveyors first platted it in 1881.
  • The original "La Mesa Townsite" was laid out along the Cajon Road and became the business center for the small rural community later known as La Mesa Heights.
  • In 1912 the State identified the "Cajon Avenue" as the official highway route from San Diego through East San Diego (now City Heights) and across the "mesa" toward the east.
  • In 1926 the El Cajon Boulevard became part of the Federal highway system as part of the "Broadway of America" route—numbered U.S. 80, a status it held until the opening of the Alvarado Freeway in 1950.
  • The original El Cajon Boulevard Business Association was formed in 1926.
  • The original route followed today's Amherst Street ("The Horseshoe turn") around a deep ravine that was finally filled in, straightening the road in 1928.
  • The "Boulevard" was formally dedicated as such in 1937.
  • Western movie star "Hoot Gibson" hosted the first "El Cajon Boulevard" parade in 1948. Setting the stage for annual parades in the area for decades.
  • The intersection of El Cajon Boulevard and College Avenue was known as the "College Center."
  • The College Neighborhoods Foundation re-instituted the route as a parade venue with the "Boulevard Boo Parade" in 2005.

HISTORICAL SITES:

62nd: Former Site of CAMPUS DRIVE-IN and NEON MAJORETTE (now located at College Grove Center), 1948-1982.
63rd: FIRST JACK-IN-THE-BOX est. 1951 Located on northwest corner of intersection, now site of Platt College building.