- Although the Rolando Park area was part of the land purchased for development in 1926 by the initial Rolando developers, the New University Syndicate, it did not see any building until after World War II.
- In 1928 the Rolando developers offered their land holdings south of University Avenue (the future Rolando Park) to the State College for its new site—it lost out to Alphonso Bell’s offer at Montezuma Mesa.
- Its eastern neighbor Vista La Mesa dates its original subdivision to 1928.
- The Rolando Village Company, under its new name, the Lincoln Homes Company, along with local contractor/developer Chris Cosgrove began development of the area in 1949.
- The Rolando Park tract homes were entry-level homes constructed quickly to meet the significant demand for homes in rapidly growing Post-War San Diego.
- “Celia” Vista Drive is named for developer Chris Cosgrove’s wife.
- Waite Drive is named for the pioneer Lemon Grove farming family.
- Rolando Park’s Park Vista and Conrad Terrace tracks were some of the first development projects of Martin Gleich’s American Housing Guild Company, what would become the largest San Diego-based development company in the 1950s and early 1960s.
- Rolando Park Elementary, opened in 1951, was sold to the San Diego School District in 1955 after the former unincorporated area annexed into the City in 1954 along with sister community Rolando.
- The Salvation Army’s Ray and Joan Kroc Community Center opened to the public in 2002.
COSGROVE HEIGHTS est. 1949
ROLANDO PARK UNITS 1-4 est. 1949-1951
COSGROVE HEIGHTS ANNEX 1-2 est. 1950-1951
REDWOOD VILLAGE UNITS 4-5 est. 1951
PARK VISTA est. 1952
PARK VISTA UNIT 2 est. 1952
CONRAD TERRACE UNIT 1-2 est. 1953-1954
BONILLO SQUARE est. 1954
ROLANDO SHOPPING CENTER est. 1955
UNIMART CENTER est. 1959
History content provided by James Newland and may not be copied without his permission. To receive permission, contact us.