- The original 1922 Oak Park subdivisions are located northwest of today’s Oak Park community in what is now known as Fox Canyon.
- The historic Chollas Road, the original county road east from downtown San Diego, followed today’s home avenue and Chollas Creek—helping 1880s speculators establish the Seaman’s and Wadsworth Olive Grove tracts along this historic route.
- Prior to World War II, only two small tracts, Indiana Heights and Balboa Vista were platted–neither drawing any contemporary development.
- The 54th Street extension south to old Federal Boulevard was the key to opening the Oak Park community to development.
- Oak Park is another of San Diego’s earliest all “tract” home communities.
- Developer Al Furlow had an apt name for selling homes to Oak Park’s target market of World War II veterans.
- Older development companies such as O.D. Arnold were joined by newer companies such as Kolgra Manor’s Dass Construction Company, Euclid Mesa’s Leonard Drogin (also developer of College Heights and College View Estates), and Al Furlow.
- Opening of Oak Park Elementary, Library, and Fire Station in the early 1950s cemented the new name for this suburban neighborhood.
SEAMAN’S est. 1887
WADSWORTH OLIVE GROVE est. 1887
INDIANA HEIGHTS est. 1913
BALBOA VISTA est. 1928
WESTWOOD HILLS UNITS 1-5 est. 1948-1951
FURLOW HEIGHTS UNITS 1-3 est. 1948-1952
COSGROVE PARK est. 1949
O.D. ARNOLD ANNEX est. 1949
CLEARVIEW est. 1950
CLEARVIEW MANOR est. 1952
EUCLID VIEW est. 1952
BALBOA VISTA HEIGHTS est. 1953
O.D ARNOLD HAZLEWOOD HEIGHTS UNITS 1-3 est. 1953-1954
EUCLID VIEW ANNEX UNIT 1-2 est. 1954-1955
KOLGRA MANOR est. 1955
MORRISON’S TERRACE est. 1957
METROPOLITAN SHOPPING CENTER est. 1958
RANCHO CHOLLAS est. 1959
BAYVIEW HEIGHTS est. 1963
SUNKIST ESTATES est. 1976
RYAN MANOR est. 1976
HARBOR VISTA est. 1977
History content provided by James Newland and may not be copied without his permission. To receive permission, contact us.