- The “Cajon Road Via the Mesa” was the name of this route when County surveyors first platted it in 1881.
- The original “La Mesa Townsite” was laid out along the Cajon Road and became the business center for the small rural community later known as La Mesa Heights.
- In 1912 the State identified the “Cajon Avenue” as the official highway route from San Diego through East San Diego (now City Heights) and across the “mesa” toward the east.
- In 1926 the El Cajon Boulevard became part of the Federal highway system as part of the “Broadway of America” route—numbered U.S. 80, a status it held until the opening of the Alvarado Freeway in 1950.
- The original El Cajon Boulevard Business Association was formed in 1926.
- The original route followed today’s Amherst Street (“The Horseshoe turn”) around a deep ravine that was finally filled in, straightening the road in 1928.
- The “Boulevard” was formally dedicated as such in 1937.
- Western movie star “Hoot Gibson” hosted the first “El Cajon Boulevard” parade in 1948. Setting the stage for annual parades in the area for decades.
- The intersection of El Cajon Boulevard and College Avenue was known as the “College Center.”
- The College Neighborhoods Foundation re-instituted the route as a parade venue with the “Boulevard Boo Parade” in 2005.
62nd: Former Site of CAMPUS DRIVE-IN and NEON MAJORETTE (now located at College Grove Center), 1948-1982.
63rd: FIRST JACK-IN-THE-BOX est. 1951 Located on northwest corner of intersection, now site of Platt College building.
History content provided by James Newland and may not be copied without his permission. To receive permission, contact us.