- College View Estates was one of local developer Leonard Drogin’s earliest “high end” tracts, featuring both pre-built and custom homes.The tract was popular with many professionals and SDSC professors.
- In addition to the original 1950s tract homes designed by Charles & Arthur Scriebner of Chicago, College View Estates also includes custom and “custom tract” homes designed by noted architects such as Henry Hester, Palmer and Krisel, and Robert Ferris.
- Architectural styles in College View Estates include Ranch Style Tract, Contemporary, Modern, and Earth-Integrated Organic—one of the earliest earth-integrated homes in San Diego County.
- Several of the homes in the Aztec Heights subdivision feature Palmer & Krisel’s California Contemporary style home built for Drogin’s “Pacifica” tract on Mt. Soledad. This design won Life Magazine’s Best Designed Home of 1960 award.
- Drogin, although he developed tracts in Del Cerro, Chula Vista, and La Jolla, lived for many years in College View Estates.
MARCELLENA TRACT est. 1896
COLLEGE VIEW ESTATES est. 1954-58
AZTEC HEIGHTS est. 1960
COLLEGE GARDENS UNIT 2 est. 1960
MONTEZUMA PARK est. 1964
History content provided by James Newland and may not be copied without his permission. To receive permission, contact us.