- The San Diego State Teachers College chose the current location of SDSU in 1928 after an extensive 3-year campaign/contest that considered viable location offers from Balboa Park, Encanto, Pacific Beach, La Mesa, Rolando, and Fletcher Hills.
- Noted Los Angeles developer Alphonso Bell sold the original 300-acre site to the State with hopes of replicating his profitable development of Bel-Air next to the new UCLA campus. Bell and his partner Hal Lloyd hoped to build a lakeside resort (Mission Palisades) in Alvarado Canyon that would include golf courses, polo fields, and an exclusive suburban development surrounding the new campus.
- The new Montezuma Mesa SDSC Campus opened in 1931 in the depths of the Great Depression. Financial difficulties forced Bell to withdraw his support and the resort plans fell through. The 3-story Bell-Lloyd building formerly located where the new trolley station is buried today, was the only piece of Bell’s plans for a “Westwood-like” commercial development north of Montezuma along College Avenue.
- Lloyd was able to build one tract of the proposed College Park residential tract along College Avenue south of Montezuma Road to Pontiac Street. Today along College Avenue and Cresita Drive are a few of the larger, 1930s Revival Style homes that Bell and Lloyd had thought would surround the new campus.
- After World War II, the growing SDSC community spread west to 55th Street along Linda Paseo and Hardy Drives (College Park Unit 3) and south of Montezuma in the College Heights tract between 54th and Campanile Drives.
- The original homes in College Park #3 and College Heights were mostly minimal Contemporary and typical Ranch Style 1950s tract homes—but one lot on Dorothy Drive features famous Los Angeles’ modernist architect Craig Ellwood’s only San Diego project.
LA MESA COLONY est. 1887
MARCELLENA TRACT est. 1896
SDSTC CAMPUS est. 1931
COLLEGE PARK UNIT 1 est. 1931
COLLEGE PARK UNIT 2 est. 1937
COLLEGE PARK UNIT 3 est. 1947
COLLWOOD GARDENS est. 1949
COLLWOOD TERRACE est. 1950-52
COLLEGE HEIGHTS est. 1952
O’MEARA CHANDLER SUBDIVISION est. 1965
History content provided by James Newland and may not be copied without his permission. To receive permission, contact us.