- In 1950, George Scott, long-standing owner of San Diego department store Walker-Scott first conceives of a regional suburban mall with his store as anchor tenant.
- In 1952 Scott purchases 70 acres south of Chollas Heights along the planned State Route 94 freeway near Lemon Grove.
- In 1955 Los Angeles developers Michael Birkrant and Philip Lyons announced plans for making Scott’s dream retail center a reality.
- New York and Seattle based architect John Graham designed the $14 million, 880,000 square foot regional mall.
- Ground was broken for the mall in April 1958 with contractors M. H. Golden of San Diego and E. H. Dixon of Los Angeles as general contractors.
- College Grove Shopping Center had a preview opening on July 28, 1960 with all 60 original stores operating by August 25th.
- College Grove Boulevard was originally named Ryan Road.
- In September 1961 College Grove’s Kiddieland amusement area opened with numerous, and for young locals, memorable carnival rides.
- After a major renovation in the late 1980s, the original mall was demolished in 1999 to make way for a new “big box” retail center called The Grove.
- The Neon Majorette was salvaged from the former Campus Drive-In in 1982 and reinstalled at the old College Grove site in 1988.
COLLEGE GROVE CENTER est. 1956; opened 1960
COLLEGE GROVE ANNEX est. 1958
History content provided by James Newland and may not be copied without his permission. To receive permission, contact us.