- College Avenue’s initial two-block development north of El Cajon Boulevard was part of the El Retiro Subdivision’s Gilcher Street.
- In 1929 the State College began grading and paving the new road from the renamed Gilcher Street out to what would become the new “Montezuma Mesa,” home for the campus in 1931.
- College Avenue was extended south from El Cajon Boulevard to meet up with the Federal Boulevard in Lemon Grove starting in 1947.
- The opening of College Avenue south helped complete the development of Post-War era neighborhoods Redwood Village and Rolando Park.
- College Avenue was extended north of the campus to meet with the new Alvarado Canyon Highway in the early 1950s, with its overpass bridge into the new community of Del Cerro in 1956.
History content provided by James Newland and may not be copied without his permission. To receive permission, contact us.