The route from today’s Fairmount Canyon up into the “mesa” area likely dates to prehistoric times.
During the Mission Period and into the early American Period, the route of today’s “Collwood Boulevard” is documented as the key access point into the area from Mission Valley.
The road and route of today’s 54th Street was originally known as Douglass Street, named after the pioneer rancher who built a home near the current site of Crawford High School in the 1800s.
This 19th Century route was the access point that connected the Old Chollas Road (Home Avenue to University Avenue) to Mission Valley.
The paving of 54th Street south from University would be the key access for developing the Post-War neighborhoods of Redwood Village, Oak Park, and Webster.
The opening of Collwood Boulevard in 1966 allowed for some of the earliest condominium projects in the City.
University Avenue: Site of former Jewish Community Center.
Constructed in 1954, this center was one of the earliest and long-lasted community service centers and represented the large and influential Jewish Community in the College Area. It has since closed and the site redeveloped.
The current Community Theater building was originally designed as a sales office/model home for a proposed housing development of homes designed by San Diego native, and famed architectural designer, Cliff May. The project never materialized.
History content provided by James Newland and may not be copied without his permission. To receive permission, contact us.